Fair Housing Initiatives Program
Bay Area Legal Services' Fair Housing Initiatives Program (FHIP) protects you against housing discrimination based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, or handicap. The FHIP was established to enforce fair housing laws throughout Hillsborough County. There are no income requirements for FHIP clients. FHIP services include:
- Education: Educating clients to recognize and report housing discrimination. We also give fair housing presentations to homeowners’ or tenants’ associations.
- Investigation: Investigating reports of discrimination and performing testing in some cases to identify unlawful housing discrimination.
- Enforcement: Using a variety of legal remedies to help fair housing clients, including negotiating settlements, litigation in state or federal court, and filing cases with government agencies.
Links to More Information
- HUD - Homes and Communities U.S. Department of Housing: www.hud.gov
- Florida Housing Finance Corporation: www.floridahousing.org
- Tampa Housing Authority or City/County Section 8 housing: www.thafl.com
If you think you have a fair housing problem or to schedule a fair housing presentation, call the FHIP 813.634.6044 (1.800.955.8771 /TTY).