Major General Ernest A. and Marilyn Bedke Veterans Law Center
The Major General Ernest A. and Marilyn Bedke Veterans Law Center consists of many projects dedicated to handling veterans’ legal issues including veterans benefits (including discharge upgrades), Social Security Disability/SSI, family law, landlord-tenant disputes, consumer matters, and expungement.
We help more than 1,000 veterans in the Tampa Bay area each year through our veteran support programs and collaborations.
How can veterans receive legal help from Bay Area Legal Services?
Veterans can apply for civil legal help by calling our Veterans Legal Helpline:
- 813.232.1343 (Residents of Hillsborough County)
- 800.625.2257 (Residents of Manatee, Pasco, Pinellas, and Sarasota counties)
- 800.955.8771 (TTY)
- Apply online
Veterans may receive legal help on-site through our medical-legal partnerships. The two locations include:
- C.W. Young VA Medical Center in Bay Pines – To make an appointment or for more information, please call 727.398.9592 and leave a message.
- James A. Haley Veterans' Hospital in Tampa – To make an appointment or for more information, please call 813.232.1222 ext. 203 and leave a message.
- View all free legal clinics in VA facilities.
We partner with other agencies in the community to provide services for veterans. Direct referrals provided by:
- The Supportive Services for Veteran Families program of St. Vincent de Paul of South Pinellas. For more information, call 1.844.455.7783.
- Mission United of United Way Suncoast. For more information, call 2-1-1.
2019 Veterans Outreach Court
The 13th Judicial Circuit will host the 2019 Veterans Outreach Court for homeless and low-income veterans on November 8, 2019, from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Primary Care VA Annex at James A. Haley Veterans' Hospital located at 13515 Lake Terrace Lane, Tampa, Florida. Veterans who attend may be eligible for the reduction or forgiveness of fines associated with past cases that are hindering them from getting their driver’s licenses back. Participants must register in advance by Sunday, October 6, 2019, using the online form. For more information, visit HillsClerk.com.